Sunday, March 27, 2011

Nitty Gritty

   I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia, rooted in Rock and Roll and well aware of the South Street art culture. Upon moving to Arizona, I couldn't figure out where the hell all the cool artists were. After doing a fair amount of traveling around the state, I found that there were little pockets all over. I found some interesting stuff in Jerome, Arizona. The town itself is a work of Art, built high and narrow on a mountain, in a way that seems incredibly dangerous and ultimately amazing.



   And one of my favorite places in Arizona, Forth Avenue in Tucson. So crazy about it. They have amazing little shops, food co-ops (which I never really buy food at but like to check out what's going on). I love the people watching there and the liberal attitudes. I also love the food, especially at Delectables (which has an incredible house salad with my favorite creamy Italian dressing and yummy hummus):


and the Chocolate Iguana (amazing candy!):

(I have more of a food tour of Tucson to come, but I'm focusing on the 4th Avenue group right now).
So when I think of these cool, artsy places..... they all have something in common. Interesting people and incredible murals on the outside of buildings. It gets you in the art mood, before you even step foot in a shop or a gallery. Well, we found a place that can hang with the rest of them in downtown Phoenix. It's called Roosevelt Row and it's at 5th Street and Roosevelt:

And guess what we saw:

Yup an amazing mural!
We also went into a few galleries (one of which reeked like weed- which my parents didn't notice). The coolest art, in my opinion was at the Pravus Gallery. It was an exhibit called Indian Ink II. Here's my favorite piece:

Credit to the Artist: Douglas Miles
There were a bunch of others, too, but you get the idea.
They also have cool shops down there... that have mixed merchandise, candles, magazines etc. Like this place, Made:

   Every third Friday, all of the Galleries are open and it's a big event. I'm going to make it down there soon. I'll report back about the happenings.
   We ended the day at Green for tSOYnamis. Obsessed much. Yup! I got the "Pretzel 1." My mom got a "Banana Creme Pie" and my dad got some coffee coco crazy one. They approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment